Thursday, March 3, 2005

Little Rock Marathon (Arkansas)

March 6, 2005
31st Marathon, State #25
Little Rock, Arkansas

This was my 25th state marathon I've ran.  Since this was my 26th race if you count DC, I felt like I'm over halfway to my goal of all 50 states.  This marathon was filled with many sagas trying to coordinate the trip.  First my friend John had called and suggested we try to do a spring marathon and this seemed to work into each of our schedules.  I didn't know if I wanted to run another race with Homeyra expecting only 30 days from race day, so after a week delay in John's suggestion as this being the race I agreed, but now John was swamped with work and thinking that it wouldn't work for him.  I think we talked each other to racing, but with only 5 weeks to prepare in the middle of winter it was going to be a long road.

I prepared in my normal pyramid training program and the weekend of my longest planned run I got the flew that was going around town.  I didn't run for almost a week while trying to get my health back.  Not what I needed in the middle of my short time frame for training.  I bounced back quick and felt much better so got one last 10 miler in the week before the marathon.

Our trip was confirmed when we I found $124 round trip tickets, unfortunately through Cincinnati instead of Columbus.  It was a little bit of a hassle, but we survived.  Each of our first time to Arkansas we found our way on Friday night to the race expo and a nice place downtown for dinner.  It was a small pub called Bosco's and featured home brew.  I tried their 8 mug sampler, a small glass of each of their finest beers.  (True carbo loading!)

Saturday morning we arose and planned on heading to Arkansas's highpoint.  One of only 3 states I've been able to coordinate a highpoint into the marathon weekend.  It was about a 2 hour drive there and another 2 hours back, but time flew in our 05' Maxima that we rented for only $22 a day.  Saturday night was the pasta dinner we usually don't attend, but since it was in the Clinton Memorial Library we opted in.  John found a nice church around the corner from the hotel and soon after we headed to the Memorial for the festivities.  For only $3 we got passes and walked around the museum of all of President Clinton's accomplishments.  The building, architecture, and all the displays were very impressive.

Sunday we were ready to go and found great parking close to the finish line.  The race was well organized, mild temperatures at the beginning of the race, rising to nearly 71 degrees before the race ended for us.  8 a.m. seemed like a late start for such warm weather, but I survived.  The race shirts were very ugly, but they also had finisher shirts which were much better designed.  I had time barely after the race to shower and return to the finish line where I barely missed John finish.  We were able to enjoy some BBQ at a little place at the 26 mile mark that smelled ever so good as we neared the finish line.

We had a long trip back to Columbus, but all in all a great trip and a great race!

No comments:

Post a Comment